Friday, July 25, 2014

Week 8 Brings Potatoes and Leeks

(Reminder: Stand Open Thurs 8a-7p, Fri 9a-6p, Sat 9a-3p)

So many things to choose from this week. Here's what I saw on Thursday:
  • Carola Potatoes
  • Leeks, Spring Onions
  • Garlic, Basil
  • Green Beans
  • Carrots, Beets
  • Lettuce Mix, Cucumbers
  • Zucchini, Squash, Ronde de Nice
  • Lacinato Kale, Broccoli, Cabbage
Here's a photo of the Carola potatoes. They are a nice small size which makes them super-fast to cook. No need to peel them, eat the whole thing.
Carola Potatoes
 These are the garlic that I showed drying last week.
Freshly dried garlic
Freshly dried garlic


Last week I mentioned that tomatoes were almost ready. Well, they are still almost ready! It is likely to be another week or two before they are ripe enough. But, peppers are expected next week. Here's a nifty photo from the field:
bell peppers
Bell Peppers almost ready!
Another scrumptious item we can expect soon are sweet potatoes. I don't have an underground camera, so I can only imagine what they look like right now, but here's what the leaves look like. I didn't realize that sweet potatoes have such pointy leaves...with a little bit of purple tinge. Pete laughed at me when I told him I thought they were eggplants (because of the purple tinge to the leaf edges). It's a good thing I leave the food growing to him!
sweet potato plants
Sweet potatoes almost ready!
Rows and rows of sweet potatoes

 Herb Garden Peaking

Please check out the herb garden -- it's behind the swing sets. Herbs are free to cut for members. John or Robin will have scissors at the farm stand. The area has been weeded and everything is peaking right now. I like to cut herbs and dry them for winter use.

Vendor Offerings

Chickens: Pete told me the fresh chicken I mentioned last week "flew out of here". The chicken that is still left has been moved to the freezer so look for it there.

Mushrooms: I love these super-fresh, tasty, mushrooms, and the containers are generous. Great for mushroom lovers and the less enthusiastic.
rainbow mushrooms

Dairy: When I was there Thursday, dairy was out of stock. But John said he was expecting it to be re-stocked by the end of the day.

Goat Cheese:  The goat cheese is back in stock. I guess someone said just the right things to the goats.


Fence Installation

I have reported before that deer have caused increasing damage on the farm and so Pete had no choice but to begin fencing them out.
deer print
At least this deer print is outside the fence.
 The fencing project is basically complete now. Looking west we see the fence is farther than my camera can see.
Looking West along fencing project.
Here is a photo of the same corner brace that Rich was working on before.
Same corner brace that Rich was working on.
The area is not 100% contained by the fence. There are some large openings for trucks and equipment to get through that do not have gates. So, the deer can still get into the area. However, now they have to work a little bit harder. It should help to control the trampling and excessive snacking by the deer.

See you next week!

I will leave you with this photo I took of a chicken during Week 8 of the 2013 season. Everything is wet and I think it was raining. This chicken may be all wet, but I wouldn't want to cross him -- look at his formidable legs!


No comments: