Friday, September 5, 2014

Peel and Eat

I'm back from my trip and I'm very happy to be back at the farm. I missed being around all the growing food and abundance of scrumptious flavors.

I didn't arrive at the farm until late in the day Thursday, but here are things I saw:
  • potatoes -- red and another kind
  • onions, garlic, leeks
  • arugula, spicy asian mix
  • parsley
  • spinach
  • green bell peppers
  • sorrell
  • green beans
  • jalapeno peppers
  • beets
  • carrots
  • cucumbers
  • watermelons -- so sweet you can just peel and eat
  • spaghetti squash
  • yellow squash and summer squash
  • tomatoes -- all kinds (regular, heirloom, yellow, small, cherry)

cherry tomatoes in a dish
Cherry tomatoes in a small dish
yellow gold tomatoes
Yellow gold tomatoes -- these are super sweet
I was so pleased that there were still watermelon left this week. Right before I left town, I ate a watermelon and it was so sweet that I could eat all of the rind down to the green. Maybe I'm a bit over-zealous, but I think that you really could just "peel and eat" the watermelons just like you might peel an apple or peach. Just take off the thin outer green skin leaving the delicate light green rind intact and eat everything (minus the seeds, although they can be chewed pretty easily). OK, I know I'm at the extreme side of watermelon consumption practices, but rumor has it that a lot of nutrients are contained in the rind!

Spaghetti Squash

These spaghetti squash looked wonderful today.
If you've never cooked spaghetti squash, you should give it a try. I tend to cook it one of two ways.

The first way is to split it (preferably tip to tail) with a large sharp knife. Then use a large spoon to scoop out the seeds. I usually discard the seeds. I've never tried roasting them, but perhaps that would work. Take the halves of the squash and place them cut side down in a tray with about a half inch of water in it. You can coat the skins with oil if you want, or not. Then cook it...until it smells like squash.

The other way I cook these are to poke some holes though the skin all over the squash. If my fork doesn't go through easily, I use a knife to poke into the squash instead. Then place the entire squash on a tray and cook it at 350 degrees (or thereabouts) until it smells done. You can coat the skin with olive oil if you'd like, or just leave it au naturel. I estimate it takes maybe 30-45 minutes to cook. Once it's done, let the squash sit for 10 minutes, then split it in half and scoop out the seeds.

In both cases let it sit about 5-10 minutes before you cut it so that it cools off.

Try serving it to someone who doesn't care for squash. They might be surprised at how good this squash tastes when used in place of spaghetti pasta.

Pete's Pickles

Are you a pickle fan? Be sure to get one of Pete's pickles. They are $3/lb this week and they look wonderful.
Pete's pickles

Laura, the new John House

During the time I was out of town, there was quite the important development at the farm stand. John House received a full time job offer and reluctantly left the farm to accept this exciting position that will advance his career. He loved working at the farm stand and I believe we all enjoyed his service. We all wish John the best in his new job.

Lucky for us, his sister, Laura, is able to take his place. I met her today briefly and got some great photos. Be sure to tell her hello and give her a warm welcome. 
Laura and Pete
Laura and Pete discussing farming


Laura!
Welcome to our new Farm Stand manager, Laura.

No comments: