Thursday, June 26, 2014

I vote for less humidity!

(Hours: Thurs 8am-7pm, Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-3pm)
potato plants
Potato Plants

The crops are really getting established. Sometimes crops are damaged by deer hoofs and teeth, but these strong potato plants are deer free at the moment. I plan to visit one of the fields that the deer use for dinner in order to get a photo of the fencing that Pete is installing to protect the crops. I'll keep you posted.

There are some new offerings this week as well as your regular favorites:
  • Escarole
  • Garlic Scapes are back!
  • Swiss chard
  • Summer spinach
  • Head Lettuce (red leaf and green leaf)
  • Lettuce
  • Siberian kale
  • Spring onions
  • Zucchini
  • Squash
  • Carrots with tops
(The offerings can change from day to day, so it's possible you may not see exactly what I see.)

scapes
Scapes are back!

Beautiful super-fresh yellow squash

Red Leaf Lettuce head
Siberian Kale -- so good

Vendor Items for Purchase

The local vendor items are still being stocked, so there are a lot of empty spaces on the shelf. Dairy (eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese, butter) is stocked, as well as Pika's quiche and Full Moon Farms meats. We also have Apple Sauce made by the Taliaferro's and honey from Gardiner. Maybe you can save a trip to another store by checking here first. I get the Raw Milk cheese regularly and I think I will try some apple sauce next week.

Herbs and Flowers

Don't forget that cutting herbs and flowers is included in your membership. Clippers for the flowers are in the bucket at the end of the row. Scissors for the herbs are next to the sign in sheet. There are a lot of herbs ready for cutting so don't be shy about borrowing the scissors.

Chicken Fun

I didn't get a picture of John this week, but I have this chicken with lovely feathers. I hope you like it -- comments are welcome.
beautiful chicken feathers

No comments: