Thursday, October 9, 2014

It's Fall!

I had some computer problems after getting back from my trip last week so I wasn't able to make an updated post. I think I've fixed things now.


There are so many things to talk about. First, a photo from last week showing how dry the farm was.
dry greens
Very dry greens -- waiting for water.
Pete had to do some serious irrigating to help keep things growing:
irrigation

more irrigation
Water irrigation pump
Water irrigation pump
water pump line
The pump is attached to this siphon line. See how low the river is?


Pete was working hard --
Pete Taliaferro

but it seems that even the Wallkill River is dry. The photos above are of the irrigation rig that Pete created; it's sitting on the far west side of the farm. You can see the state of the Wallkill River last week before we got the little bit of rain this week.
Dry Wallkill River
Now, it seems that things have improved because we got a bit of rain, but I'm guessing that we could use a bit more.

Now onto the food...

Food

The first notable thing is that there were not any green beans when I was there today. Maybe they are finished? However, the farm has some beautiful poblano peppers (aka ancho chile). I am hoping to stuff some this weekend. Laura tells me that if you want to stuff them it can help to blanch them first so that they will be pliable and easier to stuff. She also tells me that the red ones are hotter.
Poblano Peppers (aka ancho chiles)

Other than the absence of green beans, I think all the offerings were the same as last week. There is the addition of red chard this week. Even though it is definitely feeling like Fall, the food still looks wonderful and tastes just as good.
Asian Salad Mix
Asian Salad Mix

Butternut and Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti Squash & Butternut Squash

New Vendor Items

While I was at the farm this morning Laura was stocking a brand new shipment of Wild Hive Farm Beans and Grains.
Wild Hive Farms grains and beans

There are many options to choose from, such as:
  • Flours:
    • Whole Grain Rye
    • Multi-Grain
    • All Purpose
    • Whole Wheat All Purpose
    • Soft Wheat Pastry
    • Stone Ground Corn
  • Scottish Oats
  • Stone Ground Polenta
  • Hard Wheat Berries
  • Dried Beans:
    • Red Kidney
    • White Navy
    • Black Turtle
This made me very happy because I like beans!

Sign Up for 2015 Season Coming Soon

Laura tells me that the sign up sheets will be ready next week.

If you're a Farm Card Member, remember that signing up by Thanksgiving 2014 will get you an "Early Bird" designation for 2015. This means any balance on your card will roll-over to the 2015 season. If you also put a balance of $200 on your card, you will receive the 2015 Thanksgiving share.

I forgot to ask Laura about the details for half or full share members, but as I recall, half-share members will need to pay in full by the 2014 Thanksgiving deadline to be "Early Birds" and full-share members will need to pay a 50% deposit. I'll confirm this next week. Of course, if you can't wait to find out, Laura or Robin can answer questions when you're at the farm stand.

Thanksgiving Turkeys

There's still time to sign up to buy a turkey for Thanksgiving 2014. The deadline is November 14th. The sign up sheet is at the farm stand. Just ask! You can indicate the weight you desire and the turkey will magically be raised just for you. These turkeys are raised locally and not in cages so know that they will be tasty for your table.

Laura and Ruby

Well, this is the end of a very long post. I'll leave you with some fun pictures of Laura and Ruby.
Ruby laughing

Ruby & Laura
Laura

No comments: