Friday, October 31, 2014

Looking to the Future!

(Hrs: Th 8a-7p, Fri 9a-6p, Sat 9a-3p)
All we need is Love. Heart Shaped Potato.

Last Pickup is Saturday November 8th


It's true: this season is coming to an end. I'm so sad as I think about missing the fresh greens, beautiful colorful beets, peppers, salad, tomatoes and so many other things I've enjoyed this year.

So, to make myself feel better, I remember to sign up for next season!

Sign up for the 2015 Season Now and receive a bag of Thanksgiving goodies on Tuesday 11/25/2014. Act quickly and sign up by November 14th (or 15th -- I'm not sure of the exact date now, so we'll say the 14th) and also pay in full (half shares) or a deposit (full shares) or membership and deposit (card members) in order to get this Thanksgiving share.

I've been a member for several years and I've gotten the Thanksgiving share every year. I've never been disappointed! My friends marvel at the beautiful fresh organic fare that I show off before I cook. If you wait until Spring, you miss out on this free Thanksgiving share and will not receive the extra item (half-item) each week. Plus, waiting makes it very difficult for Pete to plan.

Speaking of Thanksgiving...let's talk about Turkeys.
wild turkeys
Attempted to get a photo of turkeys in my yard!

I was entranced by the gang of a half-dozen turkeys that made their way through my yard two days ago. (I don't advocate eating those particular turkeys though.) The deadline to sign up for an Old Ford Farm full-flavor, pasture-raised, medicine-free, GMO-free, and hormone-free turkey is Saturday November 8th. The price is $6/lb. and you can request a size that will feed your brood.

Produce

Eat all parts of these radishes
Radishes -- you can eat all parts


kale
Kale
Even though it's getting cold outside, there were some amazingly beautiful produce items at the Farm Stand. Here's what I saw today:
  • Squash: Spaghetti, Sugar Pumpkins, and Butternut Squash
  • Radishes
  • Peppers: Green, Poblano, Jalapeno, Cayenne
  • Cranberry Beans
  • Eggplant
  • Leeks
  • Beets (a non-bleeding type...can't wait to try them)
  • Celery Root
  • Salad: Arugula, Asian Salad Mix
  • Greens: Summer Spinach, Broccoli Raab, Pac Choi, Tender Greens, Lacinato Kale
  • Onions & Garlic
  • Potatoes: Butter Ball, Sweet 

Vendor Items

Please check out the many items in the refrigerator and freezer cases. There is cheese, milk, goat cheese, yougurt, pickles, mushroomsmeats, and incredible fudge brownies. There is even some honey still available and applesauce from last season's apples.
Laura with mushrooms
Laura with Mushrooms


If you like to bake, check out the Wild Hive Farm local grains:
  • Multi Grain Flour
  • Soft White Pastry Flour
  • All Purpose Flour
  • Whole Wheat All Purpose Flour
  • Whole Grain Rye Flour (I've never even seen this before!)
  • Stone Ground Corn Flour
  • Hard Wheat Berries (yes, actual complete wheat grain)
  • Scottish Oats

Laura & Ruby and many other Workers make it happen!

I leave you today with the reminder to sign up for next year. We'll miss you if you don't. And you'll miss the great food that Pete and all the farm helpers grow.

Here are some of the workers deep in the midst of clearing the spent tomato plants and readying the field for the winter:
The work never stops
Preparing the fields for next year

Here's Ruby having fun hanging out!
Ruby
Ruby

No comments: