Thursday, October 24, 2013

Cold Start

Wow, I left my house and walked to the farm stand and was waaay under-dressed. I was so chilly when I arrived that I didn't want to take my hands out of my pocket to take photos. But the show must go on! Here are a few fun pictures...

The big door was closed today and the thermostat explains why.




Luckily, when I got inside there was lots o'food to choose from. Lettuce, arugula, beets, broccoli raab, garlic, scallions, acorn squash, Romano beans, butternut squash, potatoes, tons of eggplants, and tons of green peppers, and tons of apples. So, I didn't have to worry about not having enough choice. This may be the last of the eggplants and green peppers though, so get them while you can.


The kale was really beautiful so I got 2 more bunches this week. This lovely basket belongs to a member and she also seems to like kale!
The mushrooms arrived while I was there this morning. If you have never gotten any of these super-fresh mushrooms you have to try them.

I noticed there were no poblano peppers this week, which made me sad. Last week I decided to try them for the first time -- I've eaten them once or twice in restaurants, but never cooked with them myself. I stuffed them with goat cheese and mushrooms and a little cheddar cheese and baked them in the oven. Fabulous! I wanted to make more, but alas, I missed my chance. They've been around all summer, but I waited until the last week to try them. There's always next year. I'm glad I expanded my personal recipe repertoire.

There are many vendor items to try out. I try something new every week or two. Last week I couldn't resist the fudge made with goat's milk. It was incredibly rich and smooth. Next week I will try the ruby sauerkraut.  Ana tells me that Sarah's chicken is very tasty and is a great choice if you eat chicken.

I wandered down to the greenhouse to see what was happening. There are actually little sprouts there. I wonder what these will become?

I went by the chickens and took some photos. I am amassing quite a collection of chicken pictures and will put them on the blog when the season ends. While I was in that direction, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the flowers were still happily blooming. The zinnias were looking a little rough from the cold, but there were still some to cut, and the orange flowers (I don't know the name) were still going strong.


Ana is laying on a large size bench made by Ian. If you are looking to spice up the seating around your backyard fire pit or give your kids a place to wait for the bus, maybe this bench would be just the thing you're looking for.

Tractors Need Love Too

The John Deere 5320N was having some problems, so Pete called Tractor Dave at Agricultural Machinery Services (845-389-7553) to give her (Are tractors referred to as 'she' the same way we call boats and cars 'she' -- even tractors named 'John Deere'?) some attention. Pete tells me Dave's a genius with tractors and that he fixes all the equipment that Pete cannot fix himself.
Dave with Agricultural Machinery Services 845-389-7553
Dave inspecting tractor
Dave (Agricultural Machinery Services 845-389-7553) with tools
Dave, Pete, and even the tractor were happy after the repair was completed. If you have a piece of farm machinery that needs help, give Dave a call.

Fun With Ana

As usual, Ana gracefully puts up with my photo-taking. I hope to have some pictures of Delaney soon -- she's always at school when I'm at the farm but I'm going to try to make a special trip to visit her Saturday. She's been away from the blog for too long.

Enjoy these pictures of Ana! I couldn't choose just one...

Notice the halo?
Wearing very warm overalls!


No comments: