Thursday, September 19, 2013

Flowers Peaking

~Flowers~

The flowers are hitting their peak. It's an especially great time to come for the zinnias and the black eyed susans (I think that's what these are). 
Black Eyed Susans

Zinnias
There are other flowers coming very quickly, or available already, including sunflowers.

Snapdragons

Sunflowers
While I was cutting some flowers for myself, I saw the largest dragonfly I've ever seen. I could see the double pair of wings flapping but it was flying over my head and I couldn't get a photograph. I wish I could have shown it to you! It seemed very happy flying over the farm.

~Great Food~

The tomatoes may be on their last legs. Although there were plenty of tomatoes today to choose from, including some seconds, when I walked onto the farm I saw that one of the big fields of tomatoes had been plowed under. Last week they were looking pretty tired so I guess their time had come.

Besides tomatoes, I saw beets, eggplants, beans, squash, arugula, spaghetti squash, lettuce, spinach, potatoes, yellow watermelons, and poblano peppers. There may be more or less things there when you get there! It always depends on the weather and what the hard working laborers are able to get out of the field. 


Green Goodness Spaghetti Squash



 The spaghetti squash are very sweet this year. Robin has wonderful cooking instructions and a recipe in the newsletter. These squash are so good!

I also think the apples are particularly good this year. Try some!
There were even some nifty hot peppers. Don't forget to use gloves when you chop them...

~Working People~

Of course the farm is a complicated web of producer and consumer. You are the consumer. Here are two producers, Ian and Paul.
Here is Paul working with the tractor.
There are other workers and I hope one day to have their photos here. In the meantime, give them a wave, nod, or hello when you pass by them on your way to or from the farm stand.

Of course, this blog isn't really complete without Ana and Delaney. Delaney has class on the days I've been going to the farm, so that's why her photos have been missing. Ana is doing a brilliant job taking care of the farm stand alone. She took a few moments today to smell the flowers. You should too.
  

No comments: