Saturday, September 28, 2013

More Flowers

Wow -- I just checked the number of hits for last weeks post and I see that people are reading this blog! My apologies for being behind with this week's blog. Normally I have the new post done by the end of Thursday. I hope people return and read next week when I expect to be back on schedule. 


~Flowers~

I cut more flowers for myself this week. They are really looking great. Here are some of my favorite photos:





I really like how this one has multiple colors in it.

~Vegetables~

There were no tomatoes today but there were loads of other great items. This week there were sweet potatoes, radishes, acorn squash, empire apples, and even kale salad. What is kale salad? I'm not entirely sure. I think it's small young kale that you can eat without cooking. I got some this week so I'll let you know. There was also arugula, spaghetti squash, beans, poblano peppers, watermelons, hot peppers, beets, and a few more things I believe.

Fingers and Fingerling Potatoes




Some people have asked how to cook spaghetti squash.

When I cook them, I leave the entire squash intact. I try to poke a few holes in the skin either with a fork or sometimes just with the tip of my knife. Then I put the entire squash into the 350 degree oven. I do bake the squash on a dish or sheet just in case some liquid oozes out.

Depending on the exact temperature you use, the squash may take 30 minutes or more to cook. It's done if you can smell it, or if a fork can pierce the skin easily. I pull it out and let it sit for about 10 minutes before I cut into it. I cut it lengthwise and then scoop out the seeds. Once the seeds are out, you can scoop out the flesh and separate the 'strings' for a nice presentation. I'm no chef, so take my directions with a grain of salt!

The cooked flesh will separate apart into string-like shapes. The texture is not stringy, only the shape is stringy. The texture is actually quite soft and I think the taste is similar to yellow squash.


~Meat and Butter~

Don't forget about the fresh products provided by nearby vendors. If you like meat, you're bound to appreciate this amazing sausage from Dancing Ewe Farm.

Dancing Ewe Farm sausage

And remember Sarah's chickens? I hear they are extremely tasty. Spice up your regular chicken dinners with these special raised chickens.
Sarah's chickens

Lately, the farm stand has been able to procure a supply of organic butter from Evans' Farmhouse. If you're not into making your own butter, this is the way to go.
Evans' Farmhouse organic butter

~Tractors~

Pete was working on this John Deere 520 tractor today. I wasn't able to find much information about it online. Does anyone know about this tractor?


David and Pete heading to more work

~People~


You might have heard some banging and buzzing when you were picking up your share. That was likely the noise of Jens and his colleague repairing the apple bins. These things don't last forever! Good thing that Pete has the help of these competent handymen.




If you look really closely, you'll see a little woolly caterpillar crawling around the apple bin in the picture.
woolly caterpillar
Woolly Caterpillar! aka "Woolly Bear"
I have heard that this is a sign of winter and cold weather on the way. Actually, I saw one of these near my house almost 3 weeks ago. I was shocked to see one so early.

I didn't get to see Delaney this week either. She was still at school!

But I got this nifty photo of Ana. Enjoy!



No comments: