Thursday, August 14, 2014

Hard to Choose!

I walked around the farm and outlying fields with Robin earlier this week. I took so many pictures that I cannot include them all on one post. I'll include some here and some next week.

Today I went to the Farm Stand and saw another bumper selection.

Japanese Eggplant on the vine
Japanese Eggplant
  • Japanese Eggplant
  • Sorrel
  • Carrots, Celery, Onions
  • Carola Potatoes
  • Green Peppers, Jalapenos
  • Red Russian Kale
  • Beets
  • Leeks, Scallions, Garlic
  • Green Beans, Haricot Beans, Romano Beans
  • Cabbage
  • Cucumbers
  • Tomatoes
  • Zucchini and Squash
  • Sugar Baby Watermelons
  • Cantaloupe

watermelons in the field
Watermelons 4 per unit
Watermelon everywhere! I saw these in the field when I was walking with Robin. A different kind of watermelon is currently at the farm stand. This week it's 4 melons for 1 unit. Everyone in the family can have their own melon!
Yet another variety of squash being offered
Another variety of squash new this week

Beets
I love beets. I must confess they are one of my favorite foods. When I was young, my mother fed us pickled beets a few times a year. She also had canned beets that she would warm on the stove. Funny thing that I never had them fresh until I got them fresh from the farm. Flavorful and filling with a hint of natural sweetness -- I stock up and save them for later in the year. I love the beet greens as well. I add them to my kale and sometime just saute them alone to add to an omelette. I guess I should warn you that I'm a terrible chef! You should get a nice recipe from Robin's newsletter.
Golden Beets just planted
Golden Beets already germinating
Pete told me that Golden Beets have a low germination rate, but that this particular batch seems to be jumping right up. Perhaps we'll have another variety of beets later this year.

Heirloom tomatoes aren't yet plentiful enough for a share. However, seconds are available in the crate next to the melons. If you like to can or make sauce, these seconds will work great. Last year I made the most amazing tomato soup from seconds so that's another good use for them.

Flowers

Here's a bouquet you can make from the flowers that Robin planted at the entrance of the farm. Pick your own! There are clippers in the bucket there. Free for members and $7 a bouquet for everyone.

Chickens

I took some great photos of the chickens today. In case you're wondering where they've wandered off to, they are on the other side of the herb garden. Just walk around the greenhouse that is along side the herb garden and you'll see their pen behind the farm house.
happy chickens

John

I know I distract John when I pick up my share, but at least I got this photo. He really enjoys talking to everyone and making sure that you have what you need. John has experience in farming and knows a lot about the items being offered. Feel free to ask him about anything you see (or don't see). Here he is explaining something about one of the vegetables to me.
John House
Have a good week!

No comments: