Thursday, August 7, 2014

Week 10 brings more options

(Hrs: Th 8-7, F 9-6, S 9-3)

Well, it's Week 10 and I am astounded by the variety of items that Pete and the entire Farm Crew is producing. I counted at least 20 items today. Here is what I saw:
  • Lettuce mix
  • Sorrel
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Onions, dried
  • Carola Potatoes
  • Tomatoes
  • Green Bell Peppers
  • Kale
  • Beets
  • Leeks
  • Green, Romano, and Haricot beans
  • Cucumbers
  • Garlic, dried
  • Zucchini
  • Squash
  • Cabbage
  • Scallions
  • Japanese Eggplant
  • Jalapeno Peppers
  • Cantaloupe (limited supply) 
cantaloupes
1 free Cantaloupe for each member
To celebrate all this produce, the allotment is 6 units for half-shares and 12 units for whole share members this week.

Tomatoes: For now we have slicing tomatoes. The heirloom tomatoes are still in progress, but Pete hopes for next week. I took this photo of some cherry tomato plants. The plants were taller than me. You can see a worker in the photo compared to the plants.
tall tomato plants
Very tall tomato plants
Pete must still have some planting and growing still planned. I sneaked a peek into a greenhouse and saw many things in preparation:
greenhouse

Remember the sweet potatoes I mentioned on Week 8? They're starting to flower now. I think these are very beautiful plants.
sweet potato plants

Flowers

As you drive into the farm you'll see that the flowers are plentiful and ready for you to cut and carry. Clippers are in the bucket on the edge of the row. Bouquets are free for members and $7 for non-members. The more you cut the more they flower!
black eyed susans


cosmos

Vendor Items

John House told me that although they were out of milk when I was there, he expects a dairy delivery later today that should replenish the stocks.

I guess someone got through to the goats because this week there is plenty of goats milk cheese, feta, and fudge.

Fresh mushrooms are also available. Here's John taking a look at the latest batch.
mushrooms

Garlic Drying Rack

Do you remember the garlic drying rack I talked about on July 18th? Since we are now enjoying some of this dried garlic, the rack is empty. Here is what it looks like when it's not covered in garlic.

empty garlic drying rack
Empty garlic drying rack

Chickens, yes, chickens

I just couldn't resist this one. Notice how they're enjoying the scraps from the Farm Stand.
Have a great week!

No comments: